I finished these last night. I don’t like sewing much so I was worried I try to ignore them once the knitting was done. I was more motivated to finish them off knowing they are for my sister. I was really happy to find these great buttons at Lens Mill.
My next project is to knit Little Red Riding Slippers. However mine aren’t going to be red because I’m using yarn from my stash.
My latest project is DROP Design’s Moon Socks and it seems quite fitting that I’m making these slippers for my sister. When we were growing up my Dad often call our slippers/shoes/boots, basically anything we put on our feet, moon boots. So far the project is going pretty well. The pattern reads pretty well, but I was surprised when I realized there was a big old seam along the bottom of the foot. Yuck – who want’s to walk on that? So I used a Kitchener seam instead of a regular one. If you look you can see it a bit odd but no-one looks at the bottom of your foot – right? At least now the bottom is smooth and comfortable.
I’m using yarn from my stash and I hope I have enough. I think it’s a few metres short but I’m hoping I can make it.
It seems slippers have grabbed my attention for the moment. Maybe because Fall is here and I don’t have a working furnace. Regardless of the reason these have been fun to knit and have inspired me to think about creating my own slipper pattern. So come back in a while I may have a new pattern for you!
I found this pattern online ages ago where you knit a variety of squares and sew them together. Unfortunately I don’t remember where I found the pattern, but I think it is based off of a crochet pattern where you sew granny squares together. I made Creeper inspired and Tardis inspired slippers for my girls. By the second pair I changed a few things. First I was careful to count my rows for each square so each square was actually a square and not a rectangle. This also ensured they were all consistent. Instead of making all individual squares and spending all that horrible time sewing (ugh), I knit a strip of three squares together and then picked up and knit along the sides for the other squares. The only individual square was the upper toe square. This way I didn’t have to sew quite so much.
I made this bag for a friend of mine who DM’s one of the DnD campaigns I play in. It was a special request for Captain America’s shield on the front. Overall I’m happy with it but, I wish the shield would lay flatter. Maybe it would have worked better if I knit it plain blue and then sewed the design in using duplicate stitch instead.
My next projects include mittens and slippers for my ever growing daughters.
My husband, girls and I all play RPG’s which means lots of dice. My husband made a request for a flat-bottomed, Charlie Brown themed dice bag. He seldom asks me to knit him anything so of course I had to make him one. He sent me this link to a great pattern on Crafterella’s blog. It was pretty simple to find a colour chart for Charlie Brown’s infamous zig zag sweater pattern. When my darlings dice bag was done of course I had to make one for me. I love pirates and all things bad ass so I decided on a bag adorned with jolly rogers. The next two projects will be for my girls. I haven’t asked them yet what they want but I suspect it’ll be something to do with MineCraft.
My latest project is for a coworker who is due to have a baby in October. I’m surprised that I’ve worked with a few novelty yarns in the past year or so. I’ve always been a bit of yarn snob, but I have to say Bernat’s Baby Blanket yarn is lovely. It’s thick, warm and soft. And comes in lots of great colours so you aren’t stuck with the typical blue, pink or yellow yarn generally offered for baby yarns.
This would have been done much sooner if I hadn’t had so many distractions in the last few weeks, like landing two contracts. Really I’m not complaining, because work is always good.
Almost done! Not telling what it is until I’m finished.
I know I’ve been away for a while. I haven’t been knitting much these days, but recently started experimenting with plarn. I’ve wanted to try knitting with plastic bags for ages and finally decided it was time. So far I’m loving it. It’s different and the end result is pretty cool not to mention it’s eco friendly. Below are my first knitted samples. Starting from the left we have a milk bag, top right a Shopper’s Drug Mart bag and the bottom right is a Wonder Bread bag. The milk bag and bread bag are made from a strong plastic and knit more smoothly, but the Shopper’s bag is lighter and ‘softer’.
As my contract ends in week and I only will be working 2 days a week I will have time for blogging, knitted and needle felting.